Friday, March 13, 2009

And The Healing Has Begun




(Camera is static & far away with no zooms ... but the performance itself transcends)

Well, things are slowly going back to the way they were. I had to channel some Van Morrison as I've been listening to him quite a bit lately -- something about his music does seem to bring comfort in times of distress and melancholy. He's a poet with prodigious pipes. This song is from his 1979 album Into the Music, and the title says is all. It's amazing how good Van the Man sounds 30 years later...

I just want to take a quick minute to thank all my friends and family for their support and condolences in the last week. It was amazing to see everyone rally to offer their assistance in a very somber time for me and my family, when we needed it most. You all are amazing, and I'm lucky to have you in my life...

Now it's time to take a deep breath, regroup, and get busy living. Gramps would surely have wanted it that way.

I have just completed my 1st week of my last didactic quarter. I suppose a description of my load this quarter is in order...

First, a couple of continuing classes:

Clinical Medicine III: Part 3 of our "bread-and-butter" class. This go-round, we are covering endocrine disorders, infectious diseases, GI problems, seizures/strokes, and many other various and sundry disorders, afflictions, maladies, endemics, and sicknesses. We have the small group case studies once a week as well, where we are presented with a new patient each time and work collaboratively to do the history and physical exam, formulate a diagnosis and plan, and then write up the SOAP note, complete with prescriptions.

Lab Medicine II: Part 2 of our lab class. This quarter we are covering thyroid tests, liver function tests, tests for infectious diseases & rheumatologic disorders, blood cultures, radiology, diabetes, arterial blood gases, heart sounds, and pulmonary function tests.

Pharmocology II: This quarter we are covering CNS drugs (sedatives, hypnotics, antianxiety, antidepressants, antipsychotics, opiods, Alzheimer's/Parkinson's drugs), antibiotics, chemotherapy, antiepileptic, corticosteroids, contraceptives, GI drugs, asthma/allergies, migraine/gout, & analgesics.

And now for the new classes:


Emergency Medicine/Surgical Procedures: This class is going to cover all kinds of procedures that you would come across in the ER & surgery. Some of the topics include: airway emergencies, trauma, shock, altered mental status/drug intoxications, wound healing, chest pain, neurologic emergencies, metabolic emergencies, orthopedic procedures, and burns.

Psychiatric Principles: This is going to cover all of the major DSM IV diagnoses like psychotic, cognitive, personality, depressive, anxiety, somatofrom, eating, sexual, and bipolar disorders.

Pediatrics: You know, for kids.

ACLS: This class will get us certified in our cardiovascular life support skills. One of the new techniques coming into favor is CCC or continuous chest compressions, as opposed to the traditional CPR.

Medical Spanish: This is an elective but I figured it would come in quite useful. I have picked up quite a bit of colloquial Spanish over the years just from living in Arizona, but this class is more focused on terms/phrases I'll use in practice. I have a cousin who teaches Spanish as well as an aunt from Venezuela who works as a Spanish courtroom translator, both of who have been encouraging me for years now to brush up on my linguistics. I've considered trying the Rosetta Stone software as well and never got around to it. Maybe at the end of the quarter, I can try making a blog entry en Espanol.



I also have some other infrequent or independent study classes this quarter as well, such as my Clinical Master's Track course (going to focus on my clinical specialty and start building my portfolio this quarter), Interdisciplinary Core class, and the PCP or Preparation for Clinical Phase classes. I do think it will be somewhat easier than last quarter, as there is only 1 hardcore science class and more practical medicine courses. That being said, it's still going to be a breakneck free-fall to finals.

Today's Tomfoolery:

Cheers to a new quarter!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

<3 Was glad to see this post. Sappy moment, wish I could give you a hug! Side note on new classes--why the hell is it migraine -slash- gout??? Allergies/asthma I get but...but...migraine/gout? Or am I not awake yet and missing something... Thanks for the comments on our blog! Hang in there, luv!

Daniel said...

I didn't really mean to group those 2 things together intentionally, that was just me getting lazy after trying to cram too much info into one post. You could come up with some very interesting diagnoses though that way eh? "I'm sorry m'am, but your husband appears to have the dreaded gallstone/melanoma combo -- there's not much we can do now at this point. If it was a simple cataract/ulcer we could probably save him, but ..."