Sunday, December 7, 2008

A White Sport Coat ...

...And A Pink Carnation

(Hopefully some of you catch the Marty Robbins reference, or at least the later version by Arizona's own Meat Puppets -- go here if not)

And what am I blathering about now? Well, this Friday the school had its annual White Coat Ceremony. It's a fairly new tradition which originated at Chicago's Pritzker School of Medicine in 1989 but is now observed in over 100 medical schools. It is a formal event in which students are "coated" by their program directors and Dean to symbolize a student's entry into the professional phase of their education.

The event was fairly large, as all of the school programs were included: the College of Osteopathic Medicine, the College of Dental Medicine, the College of Pharmacy, and the College of Health Sciences. By the way, Midwestern is starting a School of Optometry next year, so if anyone has thought about pursuing that field, let me know and I can pass on more information and tell you about the program.

Back to the event -- it was held in the brand spanking new auditorium, which has a half-circle stage and seating for 2,500. Lots of friends and family were in attendance, and the venue was definitely full. The President of the University gave a short speech, and each of the Deans also made some brief remarks. Following the actual "cloaking", we took the following oath:

As I embark upon my course of study, I will:

Enter into a relationship of mutual respect with my teachers and my colleagues to enhance the learning environment and gain the knowledge, skills, and attitudes of a good health provider.

Accept responsibility only for those matters for which I am competent, maintain the trust expected of a health care provider, and never take advantage of the patient-provider relationship.

Respect the patient's right to privacy.

Value the knowledge and wisdom of the health care professionals who have preceded me and endeavor to contribute to their tradition.

Recognize my weaknesses and strengths and strive to develop those qualities that will earn the respect of my patients, my colleagues, my family, and myself.

Continue this learning throughout all the days of my life.

I was still a little under the weather, having caught a cold a few days earlier, but it was a nice ceremony and I did feel proud to be up there with all my fellow students. Here are a few pics of the event:




So does that make me look official or what? Before long I'll be joining the ranks of these famous and esteemed white-coated professionals:








9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grats! You kind of...dinged. xD Rofl at the photos xD

Anonymous said...

Well hello Mr. McDreamy :) Been trying to catch up with your blog. And I have to say... VERY Nice! I've tried to get back to you several times but - if its not a kid, its a parent, a teacher or a broken copier :) I currently find myself still at the office (7:07pm) :} And I have finally found some peace and quiet to get some work done and catch up with you :) But not for long as i have two starving pups waiting for me. Chat ya later.

Isabel said...

Hello again Mr. McDreamy :) I'm planning on being in Phoenix the week of the 22nd for a Dr. Apt. was wondering if you would be available for coffee or lunch and catch up on two years. :)

Daniel said...

Amanda -- the real ding will be when I get that diploma -- less than 2 years now though. I know they'll fly by too, it's been a breakneck pace so far.

Isabel -- alas, I will be out of the state that week -- heading for colder weather to see the fam and perhaps have a White Christmas again. Wish I had more time right now but life is going by like a blur and I can't put the brakes on.

Anonymous said...

That's right. . .you and the Doog, two of a kind. You look very professional! Congratulations on entering the next phase.

Daniel said...

Thanks Jas! I have a lot ahead of me, but you know what? Hard work that pays off feels really good.

Unknown said...

Hey Dan, where is House? Oh, you probably can't find a photo of him in a white coat. You're nicer than he is anyway. You'll make a great PA!

Daniel said...

You are right mazzah -- I could not find a picture of Hugh Laurie as House with anything but his trademark dark sport coat with light blue undershirt. I suspect that is his complete wardrobe for the show.

However, I threw in Jack Klugman especially for you -- as I do remember you being a staunch Quincy fan back in the day. I wonder if he was something of a role model for Randy?

Today we put on our surgical garb in Clin Med Lab -- I'll explain more in my next post.

Anonymous said...

Taggen,

I LOVE IT! Wish I was there to participate in such occasions. You certainly were there for me in my ceremonies at ASU. I am so proud of you Brother! You continue to be my hero!

Aaron