Monday, December 1, 2008

Here I Go Again

Today I start my 3rd quarter of PA school. The last quarter had a few struggles and yet I came out with a 3.45 GPA which was higher than the 1st quarter, so at least I'm hanging in there. According to the teaching staff and former students, this one will be the most challenging -- I'll post more on the course load during the week. I've enjoyed the last 2 weeks of break but am ready to get back to the grindstone -- this may sound preposterous, but I found that I almost don't know what to do between quarters -- it's hard to get out of the "MUST STUDY" mode and relax.

I did complete my "November experiment" again this year -- shut off my air/heat in the apartment for the entire month. That might sound remarkable but it's not really -- the weather here in Phoenix is nearly perfect this time of year -- days are in the high 70's/low 80's and the nights get down to the mid 50's.

So what did I do over my break? Well, for starters, the timing was impeccable as my birthday fell on my break. I did quite a bit of hiking -- didn't get out to Sedona or Mexico this time but there are plenty of good hikes in town. I decided to do a birthday hike on Camelback Mountain. For those not familiar with Phoenix, Camelback Mountain is part of Echo Canyon Park, right in the middle of the Valley, just south of Paradise Valley, just west of Scottsdale, and northeast from Phoenix. It's about a 25-minute ride from my apartment. There are 2 trails leading to the summit, both about 1.5 miles long, with an elevation climb of about 1200 feet, with the summit having an elevation of 2,700 feet. It makes for a good workout and there are a few spots with handrails that are good scrambles. Some people find the desert landscape to be drab and dull, but I think the desert has a beauty of its own, and I much prefer to get out and exercise outside than run on a treadmill in a gym like a hamster on a wheel. Here are some pictures:

















And I also enjoyed a nice Thanksgiving feast courtesy of the Marshall clan, who have taken me in for many a holiday in the years I've been here in Phoenix. 2 of the Seven Deadly Sins were engaged in -- 1st gluttony, and then sloth as ravenous maws were stuffed full like bears getting ready for winter hibernation, leading to bloated bellies and the onset of a food-induced coma. There were 2 birds this year -- an 18 lb roasted and a 22lb deepfried. That is 40 lbs of turkey for 15 people, not to mention flowing wine & all of the usual side dishes including the infamous Marshall family "Slickers" which are succulent homemade noodles and a staple of their holiday meals. My own contribution was the infamous Miller family Olive salad. Here are some pics of the fantastic vittles we gorged on:







Hope everyone else enjoyed their Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the pictures! Keep the posts coming :) Though I must admit I first mistook the homemade noodles for a broken mosaic, and the idea of deep frying a turkey in flip flops for some reason made me flinch... xD

Daniel said...

I should have labeled the pictures I suppose -- those noodles were to die for I tell ya, I think things taste better when you have a hand in making them, which is why I love to cook.

T'wasn't me in the flip flops -- was a beautiful warm day here on Thanksgiving but I agree that he was flirting with disaster.