Sunday, November 2, 2008

Loves me some sarcasm

As far as school goes, I am in the eye of the storm of the quarter. I do have my clinical medicine final in 7 hours -- the last unit was mostly on musculoskeletal disorders -- neck and low back pain, knee problems, carpal tunnel, plantar fasciitis, and a huge unit on hypertension, which is the #1 cause of office visits in chronic conditions. Not the most difficult unit for me as a lot of it ties in to the etiologies I treated as an Occupational Therapist, but there are still some tricky things, like remembering the difference between spondylosis, spondylolysis, and spondylolithesis. One thing that I really like about this course is that they are teaching us the various meds for each disorder -- it's like sticking your big toe into the water in preparation for diving into Pharmacology class next quarter. Hypertension, in particular, can get pretty tricky with the med adjustments -- when to use or not use ACE inhibitors, beta blockers, ARB's, calcium channel blockers, central alpha agonists, alpha blockers, and the various diuretics. There is nothing like pushing yourself beyond what you thought you were capable of, and it boggles my mind when I look at my folders and contemplate just how much I've learned in such a short time.

That being said, and getting back to the title of this post -- I also happen to be a huge fan of sarcasm (it was first embedded in my psyche by Razortongue herself , nurtured and fostered by my fellow Hoy Boys and fellow appreciator Phil, and then polished to a fine point over years of exchanges with my equal in satirical cynicism, James) and so I now present you with some fine bits of biting sarcasm dealing with college. There is one random picture and the rest all come from the fascinating mind of the Simpsons creator Matt Groening. As most of you probably know, he wrote a series of cartoons and books under the umbrella of "Life in Hell" and these particular exerpts are from the hilarious and yet all-too-true book "School is Hell", which can be purchased here (my legal team thought it would be prudent to include the link).

Hope you have as twisted of a sense of humor as myself and can appreciate these:
(if you're having trouble reading some of the text, click on each picture to see a larger version)





















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loves ME some sarcasm. I hope all is going well Taggen. I am just checking in from Sunny D. Now get back to studying and I'll get back to beating my head into a brick wall for a living. :)